Monday, November 14, 2011

The Wedding Shawl!







This was the Big Secrete Project!

From the moment I saw the dress at the first fitting I Knew she needed a shawl to go with it and "I" was just the person to knit it! The dress is called "Mermaid" style but I am old enough to think "Mae West." Those women always had some type of stole  to remind them to keep the shoulders up and elbows back.

Then I got to thinking about what I wanted it to mean, and what I really wanted to give her. The wedding dress she would never wear again, but I wanted to be something she could wear again and still have special meaning. I choose a segment of pattern stitch from the "Simurgh" pattern because the shaped of the scallops went perfectly with the lace on the dress.  It's a start in the center and work to the end pattern. As I worked I thought about adding beads to the edges "of Course".
I had boxes of  Antique beads from her Grandmother and Great Grandmothers who use to knit fine beaded purses in the 1920's.      We ended up with a stole that was a gift from her generations past with new crystals added by me.There was Old, New, and a Borrowed Blue bead from another project hidden in one corner. It is something she will always be able to wear.

I gave it to her the morning of her wedding BEFORE makeup! She was so surprised and happy.


3 comments:

  1. Sheryl, that is absolutely stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sheryl - I saw this on facebook when Joede made a comment on it! I'm Joede's half sister in CO. I am also an avid knitter and would love to know which pattern you used for this shawl! Can you send me the link or the info to find it?
    thanks so much
    Isabel (isbeaddazzledjewels@yahoo.com)

    ReplyDelete